TitleCheck Our Drinking Recipes
1 cup short grain rice
1 cup water
200 ml Japanese rice vinegar
100 g sugar
40 g salt
150 g (5 oz) sushi rice
1½ sheets sushi nori (dried seaweed sheet for wrapping)
1 Zespri® Green Kiwifruit, peeled and the ends trimmed
Square Kiwifruit Sushi
- Sushi Rice
- Rinse the rice in a bowl 4 times. Put rinsed rice and 1 cup water into a saucepan and leave standing for 5 – 10 minutes. Cook covered on a medium heat for 15 minutes (do not remove the lid while cooking or the rice will harden). Remove from the heat and allow the rice to stand for a further 10 minutes.
- Mix together the rice vinegar, sugar and salt and stir until dissolved. For each cup of cooked rice, stir through 20 mls (4 tsp) of sushi vinegar.
- Preparing Sushi Roll
- Place a bamboo sushi mat on a work bench or chopping bard. Take a sheet of nori, fold in half length ways and cut or break
- Lay one half sheet on the mat, short edge towards you. Cover with a thin layer of rice, leaving 1 cm (1/2 in) uncovered at one end. At the opposite end, tuck the edge of the other half sheet of nori under and cover that sheet also with a thin layer of rice, so you have one long sheet. Leave a 1 cm (1/2 in) strip of nori at the other end Roll up nori and rice carefully, from the bottom to the top, to make a tight, short, fat roll. Leave for 2 or 2 minutes Assembling Square Kiwifruit Sushi.
- With a very sharp knife, carefully cut the sushi roll length ways into quarters. You will have 4 triangular lengths. Lay another half sheet of nori on the bamboo mat, short edge towards you. Place 2 sushi quarters, side by side, across the short end, cut side down and nori side up Cut the peeled Zespri® Green Kiwifruit length ways into quarters Lay quarters of kiwifruit, end to end, in the central V between the triangular sushi pieces. Then lay the other two pieces of sushi roll on top of the kiwifruit, nor side down. The cut edges should all face out, giving you a square sided roll Carefully roll it up in the half sheet of nori. Wrap the square sushi in plastic cling film and leave for 5 minutes Unwrap and with a sharp knife cut into 2 cm (1 in) slices
- Serve with soy sauce and pickled ginger