TitleCheck Our Drinking Recipes
800g fresh tuna fillets, skin removed
10g fresh, grated ginger
10g peeled garlic
50g soy sauce
Extra virgin olive oil
125g peeled and deseeded Zespri® Green Kiwifruit
18g wasabi powder (or a substitute form)
20 minutes ( plus extra time for marinating)
Tuna Tataki with Zespri® Green Kiwifruit Wasabi
- Mix the soy sauce with the ginger and garlic. Place the tuna in the marinade and set aside.
- Peel the carrots and the turnip and, using a very sharp knife, slice into extremely fine strips. Place in ice cold water and set aside.
- Quarter the peeled kiwifruit and deseed (washing them will help to remove all of the seeds). Dry and set aside.
- Take the tuna out of the marinade, dry with some paper towels and coat in olive oil. Lightly seal in a hot frying pan, leaving for longer on each side if you prefer it less pink.
- In the meantime, blend the wasabi powder with the kiwifruit until the mixture thickens into a fresh, sweet and powerful wasabi.
- Drain the vegetables and place next to the sliced tuna and the freshly made wasabi. Serve with soy sauce to taste.
- Notes: The perfect cut of tuna should be along the loin not across it. Using an entire slice makes it much easier to control the cooking, keeping it pink in the middle. The longer you can marinate the tuna, the more flavourful the end result will be. Try preparing the marinade the night before and leaving it in the fridge. Take the tuna out of the marinade an hour before cooking, letting it rest outside of the fridge so that the centre of the fish isn’t too cold.